Located in northern Beaufort County and formerly known as Prince William's Parish Church, this ruin has been at the center of much of the region's turbulent history. Originally constructed from 1745 to 1753, the church held its first service in 1757. British troops razed the edifice during the Revolutionary War, but it was rebuilt on the same foundation in 1825. During the Civil War, the church again succumbed to fire and has endured as a ruin ever since. While the site and surrounds have remained intact, the use of the site has intensified greatly because of the active promotion of Sheldon as one of the top sites to visit in Beaufort County. The wear and tear from tourists visiting the site, and sometimes leaving their mark or taking a souvenir, has left the ruin in a precarious state.