These are self-paced, self-guided walking tours with volunteer guides stationed in each house or garden; on average, at least eight properties are included in each tour, which vary in architectural styles and periods. All tours are in historic districts listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Tours usually include properties on more than one street and often cover six to eight city blocks.
High and low-heeled shoes are NOT allowed on tour, as they damage historic wood floors. Flat-soled walking shoes are much safer and more comfortable for strolling uneven historic streets and sidewalks.
Flashlights are helpful for touring in the evening hours.
For the protection of all, please note the following:
- Absolutely no smoking, eating, or drinking inside tour sites.
- Photography, videotaping, & cell phone photos are not allowed inside homes, buildings, or gardens.
- Please do not touch walls, furniture, or any decorative objects; remember to be respectful of private property.
- Backpacks are not allowed inside buildings or homes.
- Restroom facilities are not readily available in residential neighborhoods.
- Well-supervised children over the age of eight are welcome but are required to have their own ticket purchased at the regular price of $45 per person.
- Strollers or children carried by adults are not allowed inside historic homes.
- Please be aware that private homes are not handicap accessible and wheelchairs cannot be accommodated in private historic homes.
- Appropriate attire requested; please no tank tops, t-shirts, or cut-off shorts. Fall evenings can be cool. A sweater or jacket may make touring more comfortable.
- Cell phones should not be used inside Tour properties. As a courtesy to fellow tour guests, please silence all cell phones and use only outside of homes and gardens.
The Fall Tours of Homes & Gardens is a fund-raising event. The Preservation Society of Charleston uses the proceeds from this annual event to further its advocacy, planning, and education of Charleston’s architectural heritage and cultural traditions.
An incredible amount of planning and preparation goes into each and every tour; therefore the tours are held rain or shine! ALL SALES ARE FINAL! No exchanges, No refunds, No Exceptions will be made on any Tour Tickets for this fund-raising event!