|68 Meeting Street
The John Cordes Prioleau House
This property, originally known as Town Lot Number 54 of the Grand Modell of Charles Town, was granted by the Lords Proprietors to William Jones March 23, 1682. In 1808, the property was purchased by John Cordes Prioleau, a wealthy planter. Madame Rosalie Acelie Tongo’s School for Young Ladies was located here from 1855 to 1862.
After 1882, it was the home of Dr. Charles U. Sheppard, who is noted for his efforts to establish tea production in the Lowcountry. The current appearance of this large stuccoed brick dwelling, with Renaissance Revival detailing, reflects alterations and additions made in the 1890s by William Bachman Chisolm.
THE PRESERVATION SOCIETY OF CHARLESTON